Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Its a First

Hello my new readers or hopefully i will have new readers. This is my very first attempt at blogging. I am not a very eloquent speaker or writer. This means that some of my wording will be used out of context and might be spelled wrong or the word might be spelled right but is used in the wrong context. I hope that this will bring both humor and enlightenment to your lives.

In the last few months I have been reading West of Jesus. Yes, I said a few months. This is not a particularly long book but it is very deep. It deals with religion, psychology, and most importantly surfing. I believe we all struggle with why certain things make us happy or even have a "religious" experiance. This book tackles some of these questions. I will elaborate more in the next couple of posts. Let me leave you with this.

"'The God Gene' as not based on a belief in a particular god, frequency of prayer, or other orthodox religious doctrines or practices. instead, it gets to the heart of spiritual belief:the nature of the universe and our place in it. Self-transcendent individuals tend to see everything, including themselves, as part of a great totality. They have a strong sense of "at-one-ness"--of people, places and things. Non-self transcendent people, on the other hand, tend to have a more self-centered viewpoint. the focus on differences and discrepencies between people, places and things, rather than similarities and interrelationships." ~Dean Hamer.

I'm not sure yet which one I am but I'm sure some might have an opinion. I hope to become more of the Self-Transcendent person. Which one are you?

No comments: