Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Change

It would seem that the time has come for the church to make a change or have a reformation of some sort. We’ve seen this through time many things have gone through changes. The church has even gone through several, most note able the one in the 16th century lead by Martin Luther. Most other changes are society driven. Not that this is good or bad necessarily, but it is thought provoking. Is it possible that a change to make society feel more welcome isn’t the change that needs to be made? Could it be that we have progressed so far from our origins that we confuse and upset people. What if we took a step back and got closer to the origins of our predecessors. If I did not have the rules and guide lines set down to me from my parents who got there rules and guide lines from there parents who got them from there parents then would I not be who I am to day. I know that my parents didn’t do every thing that there’s did, but think of this. Remember when society was safer and the kids could play out side when ever they wanted to. As long as you didn’t get in to trouble, but if you did your friends parents wouldn’t wait for your parents to get on to you they’d get you or they’d take you immediately to your parents. Remember when you got spanked for doing some thing wrong no you get a time out or a stern talking to. I feel like our society has progressed to a do what ever makes you feel good or makes you happy. (I’m not bashing on my parents or any generations parents.) It’s just an example. If the church continues down this path of making every one happy and feel good, then we will end up in the same boat as every one else. Perhaps when John the Baptist came to prepare the way for Jesus and he preached “Change” he meant from the way of society from the path every one was going down. Jesus even seems to teach change from society. Change is good but it needs to be carefully examined there is a limit to how much progression you can have. Perhaps you have to cross the boundary to know where it is but if you don’t watch for it you want see it. I’m a boundary pusher and I’ve crossed many boundaries and didn’t know it till it was too late.

No comments: