Monday, January 21, 2008

The Inner Ponderings

Since I haven’t been surfing, I’ve been reading a new book called “Walking On Water”. This book addresses the spirituality of some of the world’s top surfers past and present. One of the surfers interviewed in the book is Timmy Curran son to one of the pioneers of surf, Tom Curran. These two men share a love for surfing and Christ even though there is a large generational gap as far as style goes for surfing.

I seem to feel that there is the same kind of gap in the church and those we try to reach out to. What worked for my grandfather and my father for that matter doesn’t always work for me. Now try to carry that to some one who never had a relationship with Christ or God. Or for that matter never had a strong relationship. I by no means have a great relationship with them but I am trying to have a better one. But this past Sunday Michael, the preacher at my church brought up a good point. Where do we draw the line of Tradition and Law? I want to know where we draw the line from recommendations and Laws for the first century church and today’s church. It would seem to me that if you start to pick and choose between what you want to take as law and what you want to take as pertaining to them specifically then you have a greater chance of loosing something. Would it be so bad to stick with what is set for them they had there reasons and couldn’t those same reasons present them selves again. Think about it we don’t have the Apostles writing to us telling us where off base. They did that once and we now have it as a guide line. I might be all wet but it seems that we shouldn’t pick and choose what pertains to us. I’m putting this in my blogg because I just don’t do good compiling my thought in person so I’m hoping some one with greater knowledge will comment on this subject. Here is the thought for the day….. When the time comes for you to sit down and examine the course in witch your life is moving that you take the time to enjoy the break and take a chance on the other street. Life is meant to be enjoyed and shared with others. If you are not excited about tomorrow then you need to make a change today.

Timmy Curran has a free CD you can down load at

http://www.timmycurran.com/freeDownload.php

I hope you will enjoy it.

1 comment:

Jared said...

josh,

great question man. I keep checking the comments hoping that, as you put it, someone with more knowledge pipes in.

I'm not sure what the answer to the "how does what was passed down then apply now" question is, but I'd love to find out! If you have any insights, PLEASE let me know.

Benge